Τhere is a very wide range of choice for accommodation in Athens and the following list is just indicative. The last few years have seen a drop in the prices of Athenian hotels as a result of the long recession. All prices refer to the rate for a standard double room per night, unless stated otherwise. Luxury hotels usually include breakfast in their price (a buffet), but others charge extra. Accommodation is divided by price range: Upscale (above 200 euros), midrange to upscale (100-200 euros) and budget to mid-range (up to 100 euros). Prices shown here refer to the high season, which is from mid-July till the end of August.
Budget to Mid-range
Radisson Blu Pak Hotel
- 10, Alexandras Avenue, Pedion tou Areos, Tel: +30 210 8894500, €130 with breakfast, €110 without breakfast, free wifi /http://www.radissonblu.com / Metro: Omonia
Excellent service and very modern rooms, Radisson has the additional perk of having the National Archaeological Museum and the shops of busy Patission Avenue almost outside its glass doors.
- 21 Apollonos, Plaka, Tel: +30 210 3234350, €90 includes breakfast, free wifi / www.centralhotel.gr / Metro: Syntagma
Contemporary style and unrestricted view of the Akropolis Hill from the roof garden.
- 3 Mitseon street, Makrygianni, Tel: +30 210 9223611, €85 includes breakfast, wifi first half hour free, €5 for all day / www.philipposhotel.gr / Metro: Akropoli
Strategic location, popular with weekend visitors.
- 27, Nikis street, Syntagma, 210 3220913-5, €75 incudes breakfast, free wifi / www.nikihotel.gr / Metro: Syntagma
One of the few hotels in Plaka that offers all modern amenities in its stylish rooms and does not rely solely on location.
- 114 Mihalakopoulou avenue, Tel: +30 210 7706611, €69 (from 10/8) includes breakfast, price of wifi depends on time / www.airotel.gr / Metro: Megaro Mousikis
The flowery wallpaper that dresses the lobby breaks the otherwise muted décor of the hotel, mostly frequented by business travellers. It offers incredible value-for-money and is a five minute walk from the National Gallery.
- 4-6 Mihail Voda street, Athens, Tel: +30 210 8200700, €72 without breakfast, €77 with breakfast, free wifi, pool / www.novotel.com
Favored by business travellers, it has the added advantage of spacious rooms, a rooftop restaurant and a small rooftop pool with a view. Metro: Omonia or Larisis station
- 26 Sofokleous & Klisthenous street, Omonia, Tel: +30 210 5248511, €115 incudes breakfast, free wifi / www.freshhotel.gr / Metro: Omonia
A colourful ultra-chic oasis in the run-down area of Omonia. A fully-equiped gym, a swimming pool and an open-air bar on the ninth floor will be a respite after a long day in the blistering sun. Eco-concious visitors will enjoy the opportunity to rent a bike and explore the city on two wheels.
Art Gallery Hotel
- 5 Erechthiou street, Koukaki, Tel: +30 210 9238376, €75 without breakfast, €85 with breakfast, free wifi / www.artgalleryhotel.gr / Metro: Syngrou-Fix
A clean and cosy place, offers great value for money. The neighbourhood, Koukaki, is within walking distance from Plaka and Thissio.
- 6-8 Kodrou street, Plaka, Tel: +30 210 3222344, €69 includes breakfast, €78 for bigger rooms includes breakfast, free wifi / www.acropolishouse.gr / Metro: Syntagma
A family run hotel with a standard clientele, housed in a refurbished neoclassical building.
- 19 Bouboulinas street, Areos Park, Tel: +30 210 8259540/650, €70 includes breakfast, free wifi / www.athensareoshotel.gr / Metro: Omonia, or taxi to Pedion tou Areos
A brand new, very reasonably priced hotel, located at walking distance from the Archaeological museum. The Areos Park (Pedion tou Areos), though not very well-kept, offers a rare respite to the inner-city Athenians.
Athens Style Hotel
- 10 Agias Theklas, Monastiraki, 210 3225010, Sun-Thu €75 without breakfast / Fri-Sat €80 without breakfast, free wifi outside the room / www.athenstyle.com / Metro: Monastiraki
A heartbeat away from Psyrri’s slightly run-down but trendy feel, this hostel welcomes guests with its arty style and modern amenities. You can choose between a dorm, private rooms or even a flat.
Student & Travellers’ Inn
- 16 Kydathineon street, Plaka, 210 3244808, €62 for room with bathroom, €54 with shared bathroom, both without breakfast, free wifi in public areas / www.studenttravellersinn.com / Metro: Syntagma
All backpackers end up in this cosy Inn, situated ideally in tourist-friendly Plaka.
Athens International Youth Hostel
- 16 Victor Hugo, Metaksourgio, 210 5232540, €28 for room with 2 beds, with bathroom, aircon, no breakfast, €13 with 4 beds, €11per person with more beds / http://www.athens-international.com/index.html / Metro: Metaksourgio
You will be greeted by helpful staff from different countries who speak good English. It features common rooms, air-conditioning, linen, 24-hour reception and wireless internet.
Camping Nea Kifisia
- On the corner of Potamou & Dimitsanas Street, Adames, Nea Kifisia, Tel: +30 210 8075579, fax 210 8075579, €29 per day for 2 people / www.camping-neakifissia.gr / [email protected].
Large canmping area with all the necessary amenities (plus pool) fifteen minutes away from the leafy northern suburb of Kifisia.
Mid-range to upscale
- Athens International Airport, Spata, 210 3544000, €209 with breakfast, €166 without breakfast, free wifi / www.sofitel.com / Metro: Airport
The ideal place to stay if you are a business traveller and are only staying for the weekend. Rooms are immaculate, spacious and guarantee a good-night’s sleep. It is virtually 50 metres from the arrival and departure terminals and about 28 klm from the centre of Athens.
- 9-11, Lysikratous Street, Plaka, Tel: +30 210 3259000, €193 regular with breakfast / www.avahotel.gr / Metro: Syntagma
The staff is amazingly helpful and the location unbeatable – within the cobbled Plaka streets. All rooms are actually suites, with their own little kitchen and some have direct Acropolis views.
- 48 Trikoupi street, Kifisia, Tel: +30 210 6284400, €155 includse breakfast, free wifi, use of pool, gym included / http://www.yeshotels.gr/node/3 / ISAP train to: Kifisia.
Design guru Karim Rashids’ trademark neon colors put a smile on the faces of its guests from the moment they open their eyes.
- 22 Haritos street, Kolonaki, Tel: +30 210 7297200, €125 including breakfast (August offer), free wifi / http://www.yeshotels.gr/node/6 / Metro: Evangelismos
Urban style and minimalism set the tone for this small boutique hotel tucked away in a small street of Kolonaki. A real periscope on the roof allows visitors to observe Athenian neighbouroods.
Ochre & Brown
- 7 Leokoriou, Psiri, Tel: +30 210 3312950, €190 includes breakfast, free wifi, if you stay 2 days 10% discount, prepaid / www.oandbhotel.com / Metro: Thisio
Sleek and hip, this concept hotel is the only one in the trendy Psyrri area. Though the streets around it look a bit sketchy it is actually a safe and incredibly convenient location, a walking distance from the Acropolis Museum.
- 21 Kolokotroni & Mykonou, Kifisia, Tel: +30 210 6233521, €125 breakfast included, free wifi / http://www.yeshotels.gr/node/4 / Train: Kifisia.
Trendy, uncluttered rooms, different artwork on the walls and all the usual hip amenities can be found in this member of YES! Hotels. The main floor opens into a large wooden-decked terrace.
St George Lycabettus
- 2 Kleomenous, Platia Dexamenis, Kolonaki, Tel: +30 210 7416000, €125 includes breakfast, €90 without view and breakfast, prepaid / www.sglycabettus.gr / Metro: Evangelismos
A safe choice in the posh area of Kolonaki, it features Frame garden bar-restaurant, a popular summer hangout at the ground floor, as well as Le Grand Balcon restaurant for formal dining and spectacular views of Athens.
- 16 Fillelinon stret, Syntagma Sq, Tel: +30 210 3273200, €175 incudes breakfast, €185 superior, €250 studio, free wifi, hamam, call for offers / www.yeshotels.gr / Metro: Syntagma
The newest addition to the YES! Hotels chain. Book a room if you want Syntagma square, the surrounding shopping area, the restaurants and all transportation at your feet.
- 89-93 Sygrou Anenue, Tel: +30 210 9206000, €117 includes breakfast prepaid offer, €130 for renovated rooms, wifi for €20, pool, bus available any time for cutromers wishing to go to the centre / www.intercontinental.com / Metro: Syngrou-Fix, then taxi (5 minutes)
The well-known hotel chain has everything you have learned to expect from Intercontinental; buffet breakfast, pool, health centre, spa and spacious, luxury rooms, fine dining in ‘Premiere’ rooftop restauranrt.
- 9 Falirou, Akropoli, Tel: +30 210 9236682, €136 includes breakfast, free wifi, offers available / www.herahotel.gr / Metro: Akropoli
Classical style, pristine rooms and an unbeatable view of the Akropolis Hill which is only a stone throw away.
- 10 Syngrou Avenue, Makriyani, Tel: +30 210 9238302-3, Email: [email protected], Website: www.athensgate.gr, €140 without view includes breakfast, €180 superior with view, includes breakfast, free wifi in public areas/ Metro: Acropolis
Stylish and well-priced, this hotel is located in the heart of Athens.
Hotel Grande Bretagne
- 1 Vasileos Georgiou, Syntagma Square, 210 3330833, €336 inludes breakfast, free wifi / www.grandebretagne.gr / Metro: Syntama
Grandeur is the word for this historic hotel smack in the middle of Syntagma Square. Its famous spa is known to locals and tourists alike, as well as the GB Roofgarden restaurant which overlooks, well, the entire city.
King George II Palace
- Syntagma Square, 210 3222210, €279 includes breakfast, free wifi / www.classicalhotels.com/kinggeorgepalace / Metro: Syntagma.
Next door to Grande Bretagne, it offers a similar take on luxury. Its suites are richly decorated, offering spectacular views over Syntagma Square. On the weekends, its Tudor Hall restaurant and T-Palace lounge bar-restaurant are frequented by chic Athenians.
Grand Resort Lagonissi
- 40km Athens Sounio, Lagonissi, 229 1076000, Central building €430, €590 sea view, both include breakfast, free wifi / www.lagonissiresort.gr
A resort in every sense, its exceptional location and architecture resembles an island setting. Its secluded and deluxe suites and bungalows have made it popular with international celebrities. The best way to reach it is by taxi (destination Lagonisi).
- 46 Vasilisis Sofias Ave., Tel: +30 210 7281000, €96 without breakfast with Lycabettus view, €120 includes breakfast, wifi depends on time of use / www.hilton.com / Metro: Evangelismos
An all-time classic destination of celebrities since the ‘60s, it was recently renovated and restored to its former glory. Amenities include sports facilities, a spa, an open-air pool and the well-known Greek seafood restaurant Milos.
- 18 Navarhou Nikodimou, Plaka, Tel: +30 210 3370000, €245 with Acropolis views, includes breakfast, €184 standard room, includes breakfast, free wifi in the rooms / www.electrahotels.gr / Metro: Syntagma
Classicaly-styled hotel strategically located in Plaka. Akropolis Hill views from front rooms.
- 66, Diliyianni street, Kifisia, Tel: +30 210 6230650-6, €185 breakfast included, wifi charged extra / http://www.pentelikon.gr/hotel/en/home.asp / Train: Kifisia, or by taxi
Opulence and class in leafy Kifisia and a perfect pool to match. It’s large pool area is perfect for a drink in the afternoon, while in the summer, breakfast is served on a beautiful terrace. As an extra perk, the hotel houses the Michelin-star restaurant Vardis.
Astir Palace Vouliagmeni
- 40, Apollonos street, Vouliagmeni, Tel: +30 210 8902000, €417 includes breakfast, free wifi in public areas, wifi €15 for 24 hours/ www.astir-palace.com / Best reached by taxi (give the taxi driver the name of the hotel).
A beautiful resort sprawled across a large peninsula at the southern part of Attica, it prides itself for its featuring the top-notch Japanese Matsuhisa restaurant. Cape Sounio, with its majestic Poseidon Temple is 35 klm away.